Pages

Tuesday 16 October 2012

Things I unironically dislike: Starbucks

Starbucks, we used to be friends. Today is the first day that your profit-driven, customer segregating policies in regards to the registered rewards card comes into effect. No free soy, no free lactaid, no free syrup, and no free tall coffee (which costs 1.94 total in Alberta) with the purchase of a bag of coffee beans (which costs at least 12.99). And along with this policy comes the abandonment of Starbucks by myself and many other former customers.

Not having to pay for alternative non-dairy milk was the main reason that I registered my card. Yes, there is a buy 12 drinks and redeem for a free item in effect. But that isn't actually worth it for anybody who gets drinks with syrup and/or alternative milk. If it was only syrup, we have paid $6.00 for that next "free" item. If it was only soy, we would be paying $7.20 for that next "free" item. If it was both, we would be paying $13.20 so I hope that free item include tumblers (it doesn't). Way to penalize loyal customers who like having sweeteners or are lactose intolerant.

And seriously, TWELVE drinks? Why do you have to be so cheap? 10 is more reasonable if you reduced the cost of soy/syrup. I'm pretty sure that 5 pumps of syrup is not worth $0.50. For all your penny-pinching, I hope that the 0.50-1.10 you will be making off SOME drinks is worth losing the thousands of customers who each spend hundreds a year on your stuff. I mean, it's not like Starbucks is lacking the funds when you consider how much tax they're paying in the UK.

How to respond to the backlash: with absolutely no addressing of how some people feel about the issue. PR should all be slapped on the wrist and fired. The last time I checked mystarbucksidea, there were tons of ideas about not going ahead with this. And I would have screenshotted it but it looks like it's down...because there were too many negative boycott posts, perhaps. Good thing there's Twitter though.

As a consequence of this happening, I will never return after using up the remaining $2.00 on my Starbucks card. I will also do so in the cheapest way possible, because customers should reflect the values of the company.
I JUST GOT MY GOLD CARD A MONTH AGO TOO. I MEAN, DAMN. WHY YOU GOTTA BE THIS WAY STARBUCKS.

No comments:

Post a Comment